Thursday, July 2, 2015

Confederate Flag

Some people like to display the Confederate flag.  Some people don't like it.  I am from California, so I don't feel like I have a dog in this fight.  My family is from Kentucky, and California was a free state, but leaned to the south.

Personally, I don't care what flag people want to fly as long as they are good, patriotic Americans.  I don't believe that flying the Confederate flag makes anyone less of an American.  In the Spanish-American War the people of the South cheered the American Army as they went off to fight in Cuba.  I think that was the final reconciliation of the Southern people to the Union.

Since that time the Confederate flag has mostly been used by people to show pride in their Southern Heritage.  Not slavery, that was only a small fraction of the Southern people who owned slaves.  Rather, respect, hard work, politeness, Southern hospitality.  Sure some have used that flag for racist purposes, but unless someone is wearing a white hood, it does not generally stand for racism; that's the view from the Hysterical Right Wing.

No comments: