Monday, January 5, 2015

Wishful Thinking

In general, the Libertarian attitude is similar to that of the Communists.  Wishful thinking.  We need to live in the real world, not the world as we want it to be.  I don't want my neighbor to have heavy artillery.  Not because I care if he has heavy artillery, or because I think he is irresponsible.  Rather, heavy artillery shells are inherently dangerous, so I don't want to live next door to a stockpile of them.

If we were all responsible adults, with a similar world view and loved one another, then we could hold all property in community like a family and not take any more than what we need and we would work to the best of our ability all the time; that's the Communist view.  It works if you are a close knit family of five or six people but beyond that it falls apart.

Libertarian views that we are responsible adults who should take the consequences of our own actions and generally be allowed to do what we want does not work in modern society.  If you live in the wilderness as a trapper might have done 150 years ago, then I don't care if you smoke dope.  But if you are an airline pilot, my tax accountant, or the guy who works on my brakes, then I do care.  I also think that we can't all be experts on everything and we need to have the government to protect us from criminals, at least to some degree; that's the view from the Hysterical Right Wing.

No comments: