Friday, January 23, 2015

VHS

I have owned VHS, Laser Disc, DVD and Blu-Ray players.  I am beginning to suspect there will be no "next format."  I think everything is going to be digital and stored on the Cloud.  I don't think we will own media in the future.  I believe it will be like the Amazon Kindle model where you are licensed to view the content and the license can be cancelled, revoked, or changed at anytime.  

I think movies and TV shows will be pulled if someone finds them offensive, and I think they will be pulled and edited in other cases to make them "better."  I have already noticed DVDs that have been edited for content because one of the main characters was using "racist" language in a show that's 50 years old.  

I would rather own physical copies so I don't have to have my favorite show edited for content, or withdrawn for other reasons.  I don't think old movies or TV shows should be edited unless the original version is also available and the edits are clearly noted on the jacket so the purchaser will be aware of them; that's the view from the Hysterical Right Wing.

2 comments:

ccm2361 said...

I suspect you are right


I had a Betamax machine!

remember Beta?

Mike Creek said...

I remember Betamax! Managed to avoid that one!
Bunkermeister