Thursday, January 22, 2015

DVD

I had VHS since about 1978, then got Laser Disc too.  My plan was to skip DVD for the next big thing, but someone gave me a DVD player for Christmas one year and a few DVDs so I started getting those.  The biggest advantage over VHS seemed to be that the DVD did not wear out with use, where the VHS got worse and worse as they were played.  Some of my LIS episodes and other movies and TV shows were in pretty rough shape after a few years.  

So I have been gradually  building up the DVD collection, anticipating I would skip Blu-Ray.  However, when Batman came out in Blu-Ray and the rumor of LIS in Blu-Ray I figured it was time to go with Blu-Ray.  I purchased a Blu-Ray player and Batman on Blu-Ray for Christmas as well as Dick Van Dyke Show.  My wife and I have been watching those and DVD of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, one episode of each every night.

The Blu-Ray of Batman is spectacular. It is fully restored so the prints are excellent, the colors vivid.  VTTBOTS is in color and although it is only DVD the quality is much improved over playing it on a DVD player, we noticed the difference right away.  Dick Van Dyke is black and white, and it also looks great as a Blu-Ray.  Very crisp, clear image, looks brand new, not 50+ years old, that's the view from the Hysterical Right Wing.

No comments: