Thursday, January 1, 2015

Doom and Gloom

My whole life people have been telling us the end of the world is near. The solution is always the same. Rich, capitalist nations have to pare back, cut their lifestyle and give money to the poorer countries. The coming ice age was what we heard when I was in elementary school. Pollution, overpopulation, global warming, climate change. It's all hogwash.

There used to be rainforests in Antarctica. Dinosaurs roamed the planet. Things change, sometimes they get better, sometimes they get worse.  We should help the poor.  We should try not to do bad things to the planet.  But improve my life, don't constantly downsize it, or make it harder, or less convenient. 

 I like my fast car, my big house and my plastic grocery bags and my American consumerist lifestyle. I don't care what a bunch of scientists tell me about the doom and gloom that is going to be the result; that's the view from the Hysterical Right Wing.

No comments: