Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Why Stay In California?

I was born and raised in Southern California, and I am 55 years old. The weather is nice, I have many friends here and my wife and I have good jobs. My family and church are here, while I could take my wife with me if I left that's only one of five others who would stay behind. I have attended the same church for 17 years and would not want to leave those folks who attend there. I live in a nice city and a nice neighborhood in Orange County so I am somewhat insulated from the reality of the state. My daughter still has two years left in college and is a commuter, lives at home, commutes to school each day. If we moved she could not afford to continue her studies. I advise everyone to leave if they can, especially if they are young; I am hoping my daughter will leave the state soon after she graduates. Those in public law enforcement are probably not going to see their pensions at the size they negotiated for, since there is no money. I suspect there will be a lot of pay cuts and laid off officers too. I own a house and have three times the equity compared to what I owe on it. I could afford to move, because I have lived in the same house for so long, my property taxes are low by California standards. My wife and I are remodeling the house and bunkering it up a bit so we can ride out most problems that may be coming. In my lifetime I have seen mudslides, major wildfires, major urban fires, race riots, anti-war riots, terrorist attacks by radical leftists, eco terrorists and extremist Muslims, earthquakes, and high winds and rain. So there is something likely to happen in the second half of my life. The wife and I may leave the state when we retire, but with Social Security broke and only small savings that may be a while. We keep hoping for a miracle, but I don't see one coming anytime soon; that's the view from the Hysterical Right Wing.

No comments: